While I’m on maternity leave with our baby girl, a few awesome fellow bloggers have stepped in to help fill the gaps! Today Ellen from Family Around the Table brings you a classically wonderful dessert: Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars! Hop on over to her blog for more amazing recipes!
I am so excited to be guest posting for Katie today while she’s on maternity leave. Being a mom myself I know she’s going to love her new life!
Hi! I’m Ellen from Family Around the Table, a blog that focuses on family friendly recipes and getting the family around the dinner table as much as possible. Something we make a priority in our house and manage to do just about every night. Plus getting kids in the kitchen to help out.
When Katie asked blogger friends to help her out with posts, I knew I was in. After all, that’s what friends are for, right? Last hurricane season my family had to evacuate 8 hours away from our home and my blogger friends were there for me sharing my content. It’s just always nice to give back.
When deciding what recipe to share in this guest post, I took a look at what was already on Bear & Bug Eats, taking care not to duplicate something she may have already posted. I settled on a personal family favorite, these chocolate chip cookie bars.
These bars are a favorite for a number of reasons. First, who doesn’t love a good chocolate chip cookie? A bar texture is slightly different than a cookie but in a delicious way. Second, sometimes there’s just no time to scoop out 36 or 48 cookies and wait for each batch to bake and cool. Making a favorite into a bar cookie cuts the time in half. Plus clean up is easier since you use fewer cookie sheets. Something that is welcomed when you have little ones. Finally, it’s an easy recipe for kids to get in the kitchen and help. I hope this becomes a favorite in your family too.
Huge thanks to Ellen from Family Around the Table for this fabulous recipe, and for making my life a little easier while I cuddle a new baby!Print
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Yield: 3 dozen cookies 1x
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 x 15-inch jellyroll pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and shortening. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, mix thoroughly.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. When well combined, add chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough into prepared pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool and cut into bars.