- A big chunk of turkey remnants with at least some meat still on
- 1 cup small-grain rice
- 2 quarts water (more if needed to cover the turkey, less if you prefer a thicker porridge)
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 1-inch chunk fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Optional: 1 cup dried Chinese mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced; 4 sheets bean curd, broken into quarters
- Place turkey into a large pot with rice, water, shallot, ginger, and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and allow to cook for at least 2 hours. Stir more often if you prefer the rice thicken the whole soup, less if you like the rice
- At the last 30 minutes, add mushrooms and bean curd, if using.
- Remove turkey pieces to a cutting board. Discard bones and skin. Shred meat and return to pot.
- Serve with as many toppings as your heart desires!