Easy Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (337 g), plus more for dipping
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups flour (385 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (or 1/4 cup milk, with 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar)
- Optional: Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Gradually blend into the wet ingredients.
- Mix in just enough buttermilk to make the dough soft and moist, but not wet (probably 1-3 teaspoons).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each ball using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Brush each with buttermilk and add sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake 8 minutes, or until edges just begin to brown. Remove immediately to cooling rack.