Depending on where you live, it might be starting to look like fall. Here? Here it’s hot as blazes and twice as humid. The good news is that September gradually gets less humid, and October gradually less hot, so that by November the state will be bearable. The bad news is…it’s hot.
Last week our “family dinner” — a term for a group of 4-15 people, all cooking and talking and petting dogs at once–coped with the heat with Robby’s latest creation, a deliciously refreshing Honey Ginger White Peach Bourbon Fizz.
- Peak-of-season white peach
- Honey ginger syrup for sweetness and flavor
- Lemon for balance
- Bourbon for yum
- Cardamom and sugar for an intriguing hint of spice
- Club soda for balance and fizz
- Lots and lots of ice for chilling on the porch
There are a bunch of ingredients in here that sound warm: bourbon, honey, cardamom. Yet they’re beautifully balanced by the peach, ginger, and lemon. Adding ice turns this into a wonderful refreshing drink for these last hot days of summer.
This one requires a little prep beforehand with the honey ginger syrup. It makes about a cup and a half, which is almost certainly way more than you need. Use it to flavor coffee, mocktails, or experiment with other drinks.
We used white nectarines because the store was out of white peaches, but they taste nearly identical, so either works here. We also peeled most of them to save the trouble of straining out the skins; but you could leave them on for a) ease and b) color.
This recipe translates really well to a mocktail (you know this tiny Asian loves those). Simply leave out the bourbon, and top with ginger ale instead of club soda.
Before you run to dig the peaches out of your fridge, an announcement for you! Next week, I’ll be doing my first GIVEAWAY! I’ll be putting out my much-anticipated Buffalo Chicken Lasagna, featuring Intensity Academy hot sauce, which I discovered at the Food Wine Conference…and the Saucy Queen herself will be giving away a 3-pack of her sauces and dips! Watch this space 🙂
Adapted from this recipe.Print
Honey Ginger White Peach Bourbon Fizz! This cocktail recipe will bring a cool, refreshing flavor to your last summer gatherings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 1 cocktail 1x
Honey Ginger Syrup
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 white peach (peeled is easier to work with, but you can leave the peel for color)
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 3/4 ounce honey ginger syrup
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- Club soda
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Lemon wedge for garnish
Honey Ginger Syrup
- Place ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Strain through a mesh strainer into a mason jar.
- On a small plate, combine cardamom with white sugar. Rub the top of a highball glass with a lemon wedge. Rim the glass in cardamom sugar; set aside.
- In the bottom of a shaker glass, muddle together peach, honey ginger syrup, and lemon juice.
- Add bourbon. Shake over ice.
- Strain into the highball glass over fresh ice. Top with club soda and garnish with lemon.
- Skip bourbon. Top with ginger ale instead of club soda.
White nectarines can be used without changing the character of the drink. Or leave out the bourbon and use ginger ale instead of club soda for a virgin mocktail!