No-Recipe Quiche with Potato Crust
- 1 pound yellow or russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Single Batch Filling
- 1/3 pound sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Mexican shredded cheese, divided in half
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a deep dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- Combine shredded potatoes, oil, salt, and pepper. Press into pie pan in an even layer, building the sides up as high as possible. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, put a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook the sausage, crumbling it as you go, and set aside in a large bowl.
- Use remaining sausage grease or olive oil to saute carrots for about 5 minutes; add onion and saute another 5 minutes or so, or until everything is soft. Add these to the sausage.
- Saute the broccoli next until browning; add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add to the sausage and veggie mix, along with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Spoon filling into the pie crust; press down gently if it doesn’t all fit. You may have a little left over.
- Beat eggs with milk. Pour over filling as evenly as possible. Top with the other 1/2 cup of cheese, and bake for 20 more minutes or until the center is set.